I decided to try another experiment with knitted blanks, this time using stripes of color. I had intended on distinct vertical stripes of red, orange, and yellow, but because the dyes bled into each other I got a gradual transition. Fine by me!
Here is the sample:
And here is what it looks like woven up:
The photo really doesn’t do justice to it, it’s really lovely. It has exactly the effect I was hoping for: subtle variation in color, with enough pooling (sections of solid color) that there are distinct areas of color. And, of course, with reds, oranges, and yellows, everything complements the warp nicely.
Here is a photo of the side, where the colors can be seen more clearly:
In the first section (sections are marked off by a shot of blue thread) I used a balanced weave (equal amounts of warp and weft showing). In the next two sections I switched the tie-up to a slightly weft-dominant top side, which I think showed off the colors nicely. (On the opposite side, of course, you would see mostly warp, which would show off the fuchsia-to-turquoise progression. Nothing wrong with that!)
In the third section I decided to see what happened if I used the full width. Turns out it works marvelously; I got great pooling of the yellows. So this is how I will weave the finished shawl.
I really really like these color effects and will use the same technique in the finished shawl.
So, now that I know what I’m going to do…it’s time to start dyeing! With luck I can get this woven up this week, freeing up the loom for the cashmere coat.
Looks lovely Tien.
I liked the earlier experiment too – reminded me of aurora borealis (not that I’ve seen that in person).
Sandra Rude says
Looks great! Hope to see it in person some time.
Peg in South Carolina says
You are learning a lot! It’s interesting to read your predictions and learn of their accuracy. And yes, weft ikat weaving requires lots of skill and patience. It also requires the willingness to have awful selvedges in order to make adjustments with each shot.e