I decided to weave up a different pattern yesterday – here it is:
In addition to varying from 1/3 to 3/1 twill in the blocks, it also varies rapidly from 1/3 to 2/2 to 3/1 twill in the background, producing a soft banding. Because the variation happens over such a small area, it blends together and mostly adds texture to the background. I love it!
The interesting part is that I did not like this pattern much when simulated in Photoshop! (Click through to see the larger version.)
In Photoshop the color changes look garish and distracting. In the actual weave, the colors are more subtle and they add a shimmery look to the shawl.
Which just goes to show, you never know until you weave it!
I have repositioned my mirror to show the shed, and have discovered that the sheds are mostly clear, except at the boundary between blocks. That is good news indeed, and the weaving is looking much better on the underside. Except for this small problem (click through to the larger photo to see it):
One of the blue-warp shafts is not lifting, producing extremely long floats on the bottom. I suspect it of being shaft #2 since it got itself stuck earlier – for once, not a compudobby issue but a problem with the wires inside the dobby box. I will have to do some more diagnosis tonight.
Meanwhile, I have finished dyeing the skeins for the weft. I have to take a look at the second set in bright light. Those skeins look blotchy, and I am thinking I will probably redo them.
Beautiful! It amazes me how patient you are with that loom. With all the repairs back and forth and wasted time, you could have bought something better a long time ago. Nonetheless, your work is always impressive.
Peg in South Carolin says
Your titles says it all!
What a lovely result this is!