Work stuff has kept me too busy to do anything requiring brains, but I had some leftover time on my hands, so I decided to inventory my stash. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to put it into an online database at http://creator.zoho.com. I could just as easily have put it into an Excel spreadsheet, but I liked the look of the data entry form in Zoho, and with an online database you can access it from any computer. And Zoho exports to Excel in any case.
Here’s a screenshot of the data entry form I cooked up in Zoho (took about 15 minutes):
And here’s a screenshot of the view I built to show all yarns. I have another view set up to show me only all animal yarns, and another to show me all cellulose yarns (the distinction is important to me since I dye most of my yarns). Here is the neatly-organized All Yarns page, screenshot anyway:
Contrast this with a view from an Excel spreadsheet:
For ad hoc filtering, Excel is much easier than Zoho Creator. However, it doesn’t present the information as neatly. I’m hoping to find an option that allows me the simple filtering of Excel, the neat presentation of Zoho Creator, and which is online/accessible anywhere.
Anyway, after inventorying all of my yarn, I totaled up the amounts. Egad! I have 171 pounds of yarn – 97 lbs of animal fibers (51 lbs of which is silk, 14 lbs cashmere), 63 lbs of cellulosic (cotton, rayon, linen, etc.), and a few pounds of synthetic yarns, mostly monofilament nylon for woven shibori. That is more than my weight in yarn, and far more than I need. I am seriously considering whether to reduce the stash again, or whether just to suspend yarn purchases until I make a dent in it.
Meanwhile, the diversified plain weave sample with the 3000 ypp chenille is woven, wet-finished, and dyed:
It is beautiful and very supple, I think too supple for a jacket, which needs to have more body. So I am flummoxed once again. I am having lunch with the couturier who helped me with my wedding dress this weekend, and I think I will ask her advice on what to do.