I’m currently working on the most tedious job of all: finishing touches. In particular, I’m preparing the handling swatches for my yardage gallery entries, by binding the raw edges with silk charmeuse. It’s a laborious process, taking about two hours per swatch, and makes me impatient because mentally I’ve moved on from both projects. In other words, this isn’t part of the project, mentally speaking, but something that is keeping me from my current project. Grump.
However, I did finish one of the swatches last night, and will tackle the other one today or tomorrow. Then I’ll finish up Autumn Splendor by tacking the lining to the outer garment in strategic places and sewing in the label. After that, I’ll be done with all the finishing bits.
Anyway, here is a photo of the finished gallery swatch. The binding looks clumsy and amateurish to me, but I’m not sure how to get it any neater. Part of it is the fabric – silk charmeuse drapes, it doesn’t produce crisp corners. Perhaps I should have used a different fabric, but this is what I had on hand.
I’m hoping to be able to pick up the plywood for the loom platform tonight (it will involve renting a pickup from the hardware store, and they only have one available for rental, so this is kind of iffy), in which case I can start work either tonight or over the weekend.
Anne Davenport says
For the next time, you might consider a fine cotton voile or something of that ilk. Sometime when you have time and the inclination to go hunting, that is. The sample is gorgeous, and indeed (boo hoo) the edging doesn’t do it justice.